Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Free Philippine Sim Card: Too Good To Be True?

When I opened my yahoo email, I immediately saw a mail coming from Oliver Marcelo. It stated that he wanted to give me a free Globe sim card as a gift. Out of curiosity, I clicked on the link and I was navigated to freephilippinesimcard.com.

The page was simply designed and it asked that I provide my email address. Again, out of curiosity, I typed in my email address and and upon clicking the "Claim your SIM!" button, I was forwarded to the next page where it asked for my personal identification.

As you can see above, it asks for a First Name, Last Name, Address, City, Country, State and even the Zip (covered by the drop down). Again, out of curiosity or maybe stupidity this time, I provided all the necessary information. I then clicked on the "Claim Your SIM!" button, excited to get my free sim.

Upon reading the text (encircled), I was surprised to know that as of the meantime, they are not catering or shipping to places outside US or Canada. If that is so, why in the first place did they include Philippines in their selection of countries, as you can see on the second image?
Up until this step, I didn't continue on providing my mobile number. That loop hole in their process got me into thinking that this might be a scam -- a sweet way of getting my personal information without me thinking something is amiss. And besides, who is Oliver Marcelo? I searched for the name and saw some of his pictures -- I definitely did not know the guy! I have no idea where he got my email or in what affiliation are we related, nothing!
I might be wrong, but again, I might be right in claiming this site is a scam.

No comments: